13 Monarchs at once!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sophia-at-cvc sophia-at-cvc 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

On August 1st long weekend, my son and I counted 13 Monarch caterpillars in a patch of milkweed that stretched about 20 feet!
    2 had started metamorphosis!
    We snapped a picture of 2 of them happily munching away.

#1879 Report Abuse

I’ve noticed at lot of monarch this summer. Has anyone else?

#1869 Report Abuse

I found this neat video of a monarch from egg to caterpillar to butterfly. What an amazing transformation!

Egg to butterfly video

#972 Report Abuse

The North American Native Plant Society has a list of commercial native plant growers. There is a list for Ontario and although I don’t think any of them are in the Credit River watershed, there are a few in the surrounding areas.

#943 Report Abuse

Thank you @OakRidgesMoraineFoudation for posting these nursery names! I’ll also continue to look into local sources of Milkweed and will post again if I track any down.

#934 Report Abuse

Hi, there are several places you can try in Ontario. They are listed below. I would love to see your picture if you can post it or feel free to email it to me at support@ormf.com or info@oakridgestrail.org. Thanks much appreciated.

Acorus Restoration Native Plant Nursery – ecologyart.com – info@ecologyart.com – 519.586.2603

Grow Wild – grow-wild.com – 705.793.3136

Jack & Ginger Native Plant Nursery – native_plants@hotmail.com – 416.990.3973

Natural Themes – naturalthemes.com – bheissler@kos.net – 613.398.7971

WILD Canada – Native Plant Nursery and Ecological Consulting – wildcanada.ca – info@wildcanada.ca – 613.398.7971

Wild Things – wild-things.ca – wildthings@wightman.ca – 519.338.3228

Wildflower Farm – wildflowerfarm.com – info@wildflowerfarm.com – 866.476.9453

#932 Report Abuse

Do you know of a Garden Nursery who would sell Milweed plants so that I can attract Monarchs to my garden? I have asked Sheridan Nurseries and apparently they don’t stock them and advised me to try getting them mailed from the USA and said that they have been asked many times for this information!

#927 Report Abuse

That’s great to hear! I haven’t seen very many monarchs this year (or last) so I’m encouraged by your news. Can you post one of your pictures?

#926 Report Abuse
    Profile photo of Anonymous

That’s amazing. I want to plant milkweed and hopefully attract some monarchs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.