It's birding season! What have you seen?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aurora Aurora 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Here a few tips to attract birds to your property by providing food and shelter.

Plant native species: Check out CVC’s Plant List for Breeding Birds

Install a habitat structure: Provide nesting boxes on your property. More information here.

Provide an early food source for hummingbirds: Ruby-throated hummingbirds have ferocious appetites after their 800 km journey, zipping around looking for nectar. In mid-May many flowers have not yet bloomed, so they feed on the sweet sap oozing from holes on tree trunks drilled by yellow-bellied sapsuckers. These small but strong hummingbirds need to refill their stomach every 7 to 12 minutes to keep up with their high energy needs. They flap their wings an average of 53 times per second!

To help hummingbirds refuel, put out a hummingbird feeder with a sugar-water mix.

Sugar-Water Recipe
    – Boil 4 cups of water
    – Pour hot water into a metal mixing bowl
    – Add 1 cup of white sugar to it (4 parts water to 1 part sugar)
    – Stir mixture until dissolved
    – Allow mixture to cool, until no longer warm
    – Pour mixture into a pitcher, and fill hummingbird feeders
    – Clean the hummingbird feeder weekly using a water/vinegar mix. Rinse the feeder thoroughly before refilling.

#1792 Report Abuse

I’m starting to learn more about birds. This year I’m thinking about joining in on the Christmas Bird Count. Has anyone ever participated? Just wondering what’s involved.

I found a bird count through Bird Studies Canada but am not sure how it works.

Any comments would be helpful!

#1701 Report Abuse

This spring I saw a male scarlet tanager. I haven’t seen one before, it’s beautiful!

#1666 Report Abuse

Use this guide with common birds you can see in the countryside: http://www.creditvalleyca.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/FarmBirdspgs.pdf

Tips for Bird Identification

Size – compare the size of the bird to one you know well.
    Shape – become familiar with the shapes of different bird groups.
    Colour(s) – notice the main colour(s) of the bird.
    Field mark – make note of any obvious patterns and markings.
    Behaviour – notice posture, feeding habits and location and flight patterns.
    Habitat – notice if the bird is in a forest, meadow or near water
    Sound – with practice you can identify birds just by their song. Learning mnemonics (using words that mimic the rhythm and pattern of a bird’s song) can help you remember some songs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.